About Amsterdam (AMS)
Amsterdam gets its name from Amstelredamme, indicative of the city's origin as a dam of the river Amstel. It is said that Amsterdam became one of the most important ports in the world during the Dutch Golden Age from being a small fishing village in the late 12th century due to its innovative developments in trade. Later, the city also became a leading center for finance and diamonds.
Till date, Amsterdam continues to be the commercial capital of the Netherlands. It is one among the top financial centers in Europe and is recognized as an alpha world city by the Globalization and World Cities (GaWC) study group. The city has the reputation for being the headquarters to many Dutch institutions, great companies like Philips, ING, etc. Records have it that Amsterdam has been ranked the 2nd best city live in by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), 12th globally on quality of living for environment and infrastructure by Mercer, and 3rd in innovation by 2thinknow in the Innovation Cities Index (2009).
During your visit to Amsterdam, you will have the opportunity to visit the museums that house the works of historically important figures like Anne Frank, Rembrandt van Rijn, Vincent van Gogh, and Baruch Spinoza.
Book Cheap Flights To Amsterdam:Planning on a trip to Amsterdam? The best time to make the efforts to book cheap flights to Amsterdam is right now! The destination you are going to step into is beautiful and thus, the expenses on travel and accommodation might startle you just a little bit if unprepared. Save money by checking into cheap flight tickets to Amsterdam on Tripzumi. Check with our experts for budget tickets to Amsterdam and offers on flight tickets that will help you save on travel. No matter what the nature of your travel might be, for a comfortable and smooth flight package, drop into Tripzumi.
- Van Gogh Museum: Step into the spectacular works by Vincent van Gogh at the Van Gogh Museum. You will find exhibits of Van Gogh's life, paintings and exclusive information about the legendary painter.
- Anne Frank House: Visit the revolutionary history of Anne Frank's story at their secret annex. Anne Frank House is preserved in memory of the family and of all Jews under the Nazi rule.
- Vondelpark: Named after the 17th-century playwright and poet Joost van den Vondel, the Vondelpark is a famous tourist attraction in Amsterdam, welcoming 10 million visitors annually. The park spans to 47 hectares and is famous for its open-air theater, playground, and horeca facility.
- Museum of Bags and Purses: An eye-catcher for many, especially the ladies. Ever wondered if you could lay eyes on the largest collection of bags and purses? Visit the Museum of Bags and Purses, the world's largest museum that brings before you a luxurious collection.
- Portugese Synagoge: Jewish culture, Amsterdam's history, rich architecture- all in one place at the Portugese Synagoge. Know more of the Jewish heritage and historical background to the 17th-century building.
Few other things to do in Amsterdam:
- Dam Square
- Heineken Experience
- Amsterdam Centraal
- Rembrandt House Museum
- Oude Kerk
Tips to book cheap flights to Amsterdam:
- Once you decide to fly, make sure you head straight to check on the flights. Booking in advance is a great way to catch hold of cheap flight tickets.
- Plan your trip accordingly when your travel isn't an emergency. Flying during holidays, festive season, etc., could be expensive. Thus again, if your trip is a sure one, check out flights in advance to know discounts on flights to Amsterdam.
- Flying during the weekdays could spare your pockets a reasonable amount of money. Consider this option.
- Check out if there are 2 flights with 2-3 stops on route to Amsterdam. Getting a little out of the comfort zone of direct flights can save you a huge sum of money.